Wednesday 15 June 2016

The Wynn's Fowler


The Glebelands Newport c1967



In the 1960s there was an Engineering Exhibition staged  I think, by the Newport Model Engineering Society which today still has a narrow gauge railway track operating on club days. The venue was the Glebelands, a large playing and recreational area to be found off the Caerleon Road.
At this time 1967, I was employed by Robert Wynn Heavy Haulage Contractors and used to travel with the Fowler steam locomotive when I could to various  venues and steam rallies on the weekends. It was a delight to be allowed to polish and clean the pride of the Wynns fleet. On a number of occasion I was allowed to start the fire in the firebox to quietly raise steam for the event. Another privilege .On this day  I was with the Driver Arthur Matthews, his son Harvey, my foreman at the time and head of the "Trailer Gang" and the senior director of the firm Mr H.P. Wynn
Here were three wonderful human beings who's combined knowledge of Steam and the Heavy Haulage industry knew no bounds. Now, nearly 50 years on, I would give the earth to just listen once again and take in the ever flowing river of knowledge and experience they were always happy to  share .


No comments:

Post a Comment